The Prophet (ﷺ), once came upon his companion named Thawban (radi Allahu anhu) and noticed that he looked sad so he said to him, “O Thawban, what has changed your appearance?”
Thawban replied, “O Messenger of Allah, I do not have any sickness or any pain except that I feel discomfort when I do not see you, so I seclude myself completely until I meet you. Then I remembered the hereafter and and was afraid that I would not see you there. I know that you will be with the Prophets, and if I enter Jannah, I will be in a level lower than yours. But if I do not enter Jannah, then I will never see you again.”
So Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala revealed,
وَمَن يُطِعِ اللَّهَ وَالرَّسُولَ فَأُولَـٰئِكَ مَعَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِم مِّنَ النَّبِيِّينَ وَالصِّدِّيقِينَ وَالشُّهَدَاءِ وَالصَّالِحِينَ وَحَسُنَ أُولَـٰئِكَ رَفِيقًا
“And whoever obey Allah and the Messenger, then they will be in the company of those on whom Allah has bestowed His Grace, of the Prophets, the truthful, the martyrs, and the righteous. And how excellent these companions are!” (4:69)
-Narrated by Ibn ‘Asaakir, Authenticated by Shaykh Albani
Benefits from the hadith:
– The eagerness and love of the Companions to see and be in the company of the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam. – They loved him so much so that when they would not see him, their sadness would be apparent in their appearance and would affect health.
– The care of their teacher and friend sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, he noticed the sadness of Thawban and asked him about it.
– The Companions consistently thought about the hereafter and their end.
– They did not assume they would enter Jannah because the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam was in their midst.
– The Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam only spoke when he knew the answer or after Allah sent revelation to him.
– Here we see that the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam did not respond to Thawban, but rather Allah azza wa jal above the heavens responded to His Servant.
– The Mercy, Generosity and Kindness of our Rabb. Allah takes care of His believing servants in this life and in the next and He takes care of their affairs. How can anyone despair when their Rabb is Ar-Raheem?
– The reminder for the believer to be humble. Our deeds will not take us to Jannah, rather we will only succeed with the Mercy of Allah.An ease for the believers.
– We will never be like the Prophets, but by obeying Allah and His Messenger, we can be in their company bi’ithnillah.
– This hadeeth is a bushraa (good news) for you and me: we’ve lost our chance to be with the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam in his lifetime, but Allah ta’ala has given us an opportunity to be with him eternally. Strive for this opportunity.