The Prophet صلّى الله عليه و سلّم narrated this duaa:
اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ حُبَّكَ وَحُبَّ مَنْ يُحِبُّكَ وَحُبَّ عَمَلٍ يُقَرِّبُنِي إِلَى حُبِّكَ
Allāhumma Innī As’aluka Ḥubbaka Wa Ḥubba Man Yuḥibbuka Wa Ḥubba cAmalin Yuqarribunī Ilā Ḥubbika
O Allah, I ask You for Your Love, and the love of whoever loves You, and the love of deeds that will bring me closer to Your Love.
Recorded by Tirmidhi and Ahmad. Hadith Hasan
Points of Benefit
– Although this duaa is a great way for us to gain the Love of Allah, we have to couple this duaa with actions. It is foolish to think that Allah will love us if we continue to sin without repenting or act in a way that contradicts our Deen. The Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam narrated how we can gain Allah’s Love in a hadeeth qudsi. Allah azza wa jal said: “The most beloved things with which My slave comes nearer to Me, is what I have enjoined upon him (i.e., the obligatory); and My slave keeps on coming closer to Me through performing Nawafil (praying or doing extra deeds besides what is obligatory) till I love him, so I become his sense of hearing with which he hears, and his sense of sight with which he sees, and his hand with which he grips, and his leg with which he walks; and if he asks Me, I will give him, and if he asks My protection (Refuge), I will protect him; (i.e. give him My Refuge) and I do not hesitate to do anything as I hesitate to take the soul of the believer, for he hates death, and I hate to disappoint him.” ” [Bukhari]
– From this above hadeeth we also learn that Allah’s Love guarantees His Protection and Guidance. Allah ta’ala says in this hadeeth that He, The Lord of the Heavens and Earth and all that is between them, hates to disappoint His slave! We can all be that slave if we strive to gain the Love of Allah.Loving Allah means you have emaan. Allah ta’ala says in surah Baqarah,
وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَشَدُّ حُبًّا لِّلَّهِ
But those who believe, are stronger in love for Allah. (2:165)
– Loving Allah means that you follow the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam. Allah azza wa jal commands the Prophet alayhi salaatu wa salaam to say, “If you (really) love Allah then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”’ (3:31)
– Allah’s Love means everyone else will love you. The Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam said, “When Allah loves a slave, He calls out Jibril and says: ‘I love so-and-so; so love him’. Then Jibril loves him. After that he (Jibril) announces to the inhabitants of heavens that Allah loves so-and-so; so love him; and the inhabitants of the heavens (the angels) also love him and then make people on earth love him”.[Bukhari and Muslim]
– Why do we ask for the love of those who love Allah?
It is because by loving them and having their love, we can also attain the love of Allah. Abu Hurayrah radi Allahu anhu reported: The Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam said, “A man set out to visit a brother (in Faith) in another town and Allah sent an angel on his way. When the man met the angel, the latter asked him, “Where do you intend to go?” He said, “I intend to visit my brother in this town”. The angel said, “Have you done any favor to him?” He said, “No, I have no desire except to visit him because I love him for the sake of Allah, the Exalted, and Glorious.” Thereupon the angel said, “I am a messenger to you from Allah (to inform you) that Allah loves you as you love him (for His sake).”[Muslim]
– Another reason for asking for the love of those who love Allah is because we will be with the ones we love on the Day of Judgment. When a companion was worried that he wouldn’t make it to Jannah with the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, the Prophet replied, “a man will be with those whom he loves.” [Bukhari].
Anas radi Allahu anhu said nothing made the people of Madinah more happier than those words.Loving the righteous is a characteristic of the believers. Ibn as-Sammak said on his deathbed, “O Allah! You Know that, even if I had disobeyed You, I loved those who obeyed You! So, make this for me a means of nearness to You!” [Al-Ihya] Abdullah ibn Umar radi Allahu anhuma said, “By Allah, if I fasted all day without eating, prayed all night without sleeping, spent all of my wealth in the Path of Allah, but, had no love in my heart for those who obey Allah, and no hatred in my heart for those who disobey Allah, none of this would benefit me in the least.” [Al-Ihya]
– Loving one another is a means of gaining emaan. The Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam said, “You shall not believe until you love another.” [Bukhari]Loving Allah is one of the ways to taste the sweetness of Emaan. The Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam said, “There are three qualities whoever has them, will taste the sweetness of Emaan: To love Allah and His Messenger more than anyone else; to love a slave (of Allah) only for (the sake of) Allah; and to abhor returning to disbelief after Allah has saved him from it as he would abhor to be thrown into the fire (of Hell)”. [Bukhari and Muslim].
– The benefits of Allah’s Love are too numerous too list, so here is some further reading: Causes that Bring about Love for the Lord of the Worlds, Love, Fear and Hope, Love of Allah, The Heaven of This World
Source: Tayyibaat blog