Explanation of 40 Hadith Of Imam Al-Nawawi by Sheikh Abdur Rahman Naseer Al-Barrak (Hadith no.8)
عن ابنِ عُمَرَ -رَضِي اللهُ عَنْهُما- أنَّ رسولَ اللهِ – صَلَّى الله عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ – قالَ: « أُمِرْتُ أَنْ أُقَاتِلَ النَّاسَ حَتَّى يَشْهَدُوا أَنْ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللهُ وَأَنَّ مُحَمَّدًا رَسُولُ اللهِ، وَيُقِيمُوا الصَّلاَةَ، وَيُؤْتُوا الزَّكَاةَ، فَإِذَا فَعَلُوا ذَلِكَ عَصَمُوا مِنِّي دِمَاءَهُمْ وَأَمْوَالَهُمْ إِلاَّ بِحَقِّ الإِسْلامِ، وَحِسَابُهُمْ عَلَى اللهِ تَعَالَى ».
رواه البُخاريُّ ومسلِمٌ
On the authority of the son of ‘Umar (Radiallahu anhumaa) that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu alayhi was sallam) said:
I have been ordered to fight against the people until they testify that there is none worthy of Worship except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, and until they establish the Salah and pay the Zakah. And if they do that then they will have gained protection from me for their lives and property, unless [they commit acts that are punishable] in Islam, and their Reckoning will be with Allah.
(Related by Bukhari and Muslim)
- This hadith is an evidence for waging Jihad to bring the disbelievers to Islam
- This hadith is proof that Mohammed Sallallahu alayhi was sallam is Allah’s slave and messenger
- That Mohammed Sallallahu alayhi was sallam is the conveyer of Allah, His orders, His prohibitions and His religion
- This hadith shows the obligation of Jihad
- That jihad is not just defensive rather it is offensive also
- The first goal of Jihad is that they (the disbelievers) enter into Islam and the second is that they submit to the Islamic state by paying the Jizyah (a type of Tax). Jizyah is taken from all disbelievers or it has been said just the fire worshippers and the people of the book, but the most correct opinion – and Allah knows best – is the first opinion due to the hadith of the Buraidah in Sahih Muslim where it says, “when you meet your enemies from the Mushrikeen then call them to Islam, if they reject then ask them to pay the Jizyah then if they reject than ask for Allah’s help and fight them”
- We see that fighting against the kuffar should not stop at all until they say the Shahadah and hold on to establishing the Salah (Prayer) and Zakah (Alms). But whoever shows Islam on the outside by any form whatsoever it is obligatory to stop fighting him then his condition can be judged afterwards due to the state of the Prophet until they say the Shahadah and due to the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi was sallam said to Usamah “did you kill him even after he said the Shahadah?”
- That the main base of Islam is the Shahadah then Salah then Zakah. These three principles are mentioned together.
- The most important obligations in Deen after the Shahadatayn is Salah and Zakah
- The importance of Zakah as it is mentioned with Salah in the texts of the Qur’an and the Sunnah
- That a kafir’s blood and wealth is safe when he has these 3 things (Shahadah, establishes Salah and giving Zakah)
- The permissibility of war booty for the Prophet and his nation
- That a Muslim’s blood and wealth are protected, thus his blood and wealth are haram except that they do in Islam that which makes their blood lawful
- That the rulings of the Dunya are taken upon their apparent and we leave the insides to be judged by Allah
- That Allah knows the secrets of the servants
- That Allah is the one who judges the servants and recompense the for their deeds
- Allah has made compulsory for Himself to resurrect the servants and judge him and recompense them, as the hadith says “and their judgment is upon Allah”