Classification Of Ahadeeth According To The Way Of Their Naql
Ahadeeth (plural of hadeeth) can be classified into 2 distinct categories according to the method of their Naql (transmission):
- Al- Hadeeth Al-Mutawaatir (The Multiple Narration)
Definition: This is a narration related from a group of people (minimum of 4) where it was impossible for them to have agreed upon a lie and the narration must rely upon both the mind and the senses.
Mutawaatir narrations can be categorized into two types:
- A narration which is Mutawaatir in both it’s text and meaning e.g. Narrated Anas bin Maalik: The Prophet of Allaah (ﷺ) said: “Whoever tell a lie against me (intentionally), then let him take his seat in the Hellfire.”
This hadeeth was reported by sixty sahabahs and ten of them were of those promised Paradise. And many more people have narrated this hadeeth after these sixty companions.
- A narration which is Mutawaatir in its meaning but not in its text i.e. this is a narration where the narrators agree upon a general meaning but each narration has its own specific text e.g. the various narrations regarding Shifa’ah (intercession) and also the multiple narrations concerning wiping over the Khuff (leather socks).
- Knowledge:- Whatever narration reaches us in mutawatir form, then we can be certain that this narration is exactly and precisely correct and authentic.
- Action:- So after accepting with knowledge that information given to us in mutawatir form has no doubts whatsoever surrounding it’s authenticity. It follows that by acting upon the information, either by believing in it or by carrying out it’s orders on the tongue or limbs, one can rest assure that their action is based upon information which is certain and concrete.
 Imam Al-Ghazali (d.505 H) stipulates that a Mutawaatir narration be known by a sizeable number of it’s reporters, equally, in the beginning, the middle and at the end of the isnad. Tawjih al-Nazar ila Usool al-Nazar by Taheer ibn Ahmad al-Jaza’iri (d.1338H) pg. 33
 Recorded in Bukhari and Muslim
 Recorded by Bukhari
 Recorded by Bukhari